|CEE South, in collaboration with the Zilla Panchayats (ZPs), UNICEF and Karnataka Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Agency (KRWSSA), implemented a series of educational programmes on water and sanitation in Gulbarga, Chitradurga, Chikmagalur, Mandya, Raichur, Mangalore and Bangalore Rural districts. These aimed to sensitise people on water, sanitation, health and hygiene practices and provide an impetus to the Total Sanitation Campaign (TSC) in these districts.
The following programmes were conducted in Gulbarga District:
• Ninety camps on hygiene education were held in 90 schools covering 4500 students.
• In nine taluks, 64 SHG training programmes were held covering about 2000 members.
• A one-day material development workshop for participants from the Department of Family Health and Welfare was organised to develop locale-specific communication materials on hygiene and sanitation.
• Seven training programmes for Swachchhata Duta and Prerak (village motivators) were held in 10 taluks.
• An NSS Camp on Hygiene Education in Kolkunda village, Sedam taluka, exposed the villagers to the relevant issues and motivated them to build household toilets. As part of TSC, a series of (IEC) activities on Water and Sanitation were done in 64 villages of 10 Panchayats in Sedam taluka. Their main objective was to sensitise villagers to hygiene, health and sanitation issues and motivate them to construct household toilets.
About 16 activities conducted included jathas, health check-up camps, rallies, street plays, wall writing, children's camps, group meetings, exposure visits, and training for teachers, SDMC members, anganwadi workers, panchayat members, and village water & sanitation committee members.
Besides IEC activities, 10 training programmes were held in the Panchayats, in which 400 masons were trained to build cost-effective toilets for households. Each was given a masonry kit. These training programmes led to the construction of 386 toilets.